Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Lagging AVIs

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Tabris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2003
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I've been having a majorly annoying problem with anime that I download online. They lag! It'll freeze on one frame while the sound keeps going, and then after a few seconds it will jump to another frozen frame and so on. It's majorly annoying cause it's impossible to understand what's going on (especially since you might miss the subtitles, depending on what frame it decides to freeze on).

    This tends to happen more the bigger the anime is (I mean resolution wise, not file size). I have plenty of codecs, so I don't think that's the problem and I just bought a new graphic card as well. However, I'm using an older version of Windows Media Player, could that be the problem?

    Well, sorry for this offtopic post, I'm just desperate for any help I can get ^_^;

    <font color="#660033" size="1">[ June 17, 2003 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Tabris ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Shia's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    uh, well, I'm definitely not an expert on such topics, but I'd say its a "too old hardware" kind of problem.
    don't make me look up the english words for computer internals please ^^
    but the thing is, same thing happens if I try to play video files on my old crappy pc, and it doesn't happen on my shiny new "I did cost half a fortune" computer, same media player version.
    so it's the hardware.

    uhm, ok, I think the word "processor" is the one I'm looking for (but I'm not 100% sure, either on the vocabulary nor on it beeing the cause of the problem *g*)

    but wait for more qualified opinions on that topic before you go out and buy new things only because I said it [img]wink.gif[/img]

    but I'd definitely go for the cause of the problem beeing the hardware, not media player.

    anyway, what do I know ^^;

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner crisisdreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2002
    Posts
    382
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm...even though you've got plenty of codecs, you still might be missing the one that you need. ^^ Happened to me. I downloaded a million different codecs and my AVIs kept doing that to me too, until I found that ONE codec. (grrr there MUST be some way to find out which codecs each video requires)

    I recommend looking for Nimo's Codec Pack. (I think it could be online, though I got mine through Kazaa) It's solved EVERY codec problem I ever had. If that doesn't work, then it isn't the codecs. ^^***

    Oh, if your computer is slow or running out of memory, that would also explain it. ~.^

    <font color="#660033" size="1">[ June 17, 2003 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Crisis ]</font>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Tabris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2003
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, thanks for the help guys! I've seen the Nimo codec pack around before, so I'll be sure to give that a try. However, I do suspect it's my computer. It's not exactly the newest thing around, and while I honestly have no clue how fast my processor (and whatnot) is, it wouldn't surprise me if that's the problem [img]frown.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Reikou Hitakana's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2003
    Posts
    233
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I definately need to get that pack. Some avis have been hanging on my comp and its plenty fast (PIII 933) I've never had probs before. I'd like to see my friend's awesome X video flawlessly. *falls off into a stupor thinking about Subaru and Seishirou*

    -Reikou

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •